9 August 2017

Why I didn't attend my own prom // Story time!


Hey everyone!

So today I am going to tell you the story of how I ended up missing my prom (and why I don't regret it AT ALL!).

About this time last year my mum, my grandad and I started planning an around the world journey. We knew we would go to Samoa, where my great Uncle lives, but we had to plan where we would go on the way. After much deliberation, we ended up with India, Singapore, Auckland and LA.

There were many obstacles in the way of our adventure: the easter holiday was too expensive, my mum had to work through the summer holidays and I was doing my exams in May. The only possible time to go on our holiday was directly after I finished my last exam!

We only realised a few months later that this would mean I would miss my prom and leavers day! I had to decide between a month-long adventure of a lifetime, or go to an evening-long prom night that I had been dreaming about since I saw High School Musical 3 when I was 7!

I asked my friends what they would do and they were divided.  Some were adamant that prom was the clear choice, and others were shocked at the idea of missing a holiday like this over a night where you wear a pretty dress. I soon realised where I stood in the conversation, and knew that the right choice was to go on the incredible once-in-a-lifetime trip around the world.



Above are pictures of what I looked like on prom night ^^^ on a beach in Samoa. Although it happened to be raining (quite a lot, for the whole holiday!) I realised that I had made the right choice.  I know that my friends had an amazing time on their prom night and really enjoyed seeing each other in their beautiful dresses and suits and partying in a beautiful hall taking photos that they will reminisce on in fifty years.



 I do feel dismayed that I am not in those photos, but I have my own photos to show my kids one day if I have them. I can show them the cows that feed in the rubbish with the poor men in India, I can show them the blue sea of the ocean in Polynesia, I can show them the architectural trees of the Gardens by the Bay in Singapore, the bright saris of the women in oppression, the open-sided wooden huts people sleep in in Samoa and the streets of a modern city with no gum lining the pavements like we have in cities at home.

Old Delhi

Elephant in Jaipur
Gardens by the Bay

Climbing a cliff in Samoa


I have seen so much of the world, and I have no regrets.

// Jeani

2 comments:

  1. I would miss prom for a month adventure anytime. This is so great! Looks and sounds like so much fun!

    www.itssimplyme.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time! I'd WAY rather go on a trip like that than go to prom! I wish I could visit all the places you visited too! XD

    Indigo
    indigoskysblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog - I'm having trouble at the moment with replying to comments but I would like you to know that I really appreciate your comment and would love to have a discussion with you elsewhere about this blog post!

Thank you // Jeani